Saturday, July 2, 2011

We're in Maun!

We made it to Maun, on the edge of the Okavango Delta (seen in Planet Earth and other documentaries), and have met up with other grad students from UF. We’re staying at Audi Camp, where I stayed last year. It’s finally time to start camping. Thinking back on it, I’m glad we brought the big tent, I think it will be really nice to have a bit more room. The flight was fine, but getting on it was another cultural experience, reminding us just how different things are here from in the states.

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 7:05am and we arrived at the airport at 6:15. In the US this would already be pushing it, but Gabs has a small airport and ours was the second flight out in the morning so we figured it wouldn’t be too crowded. We joined the line to check in…and waited. There wasn’t even anyone there to check us in. Finally around 6:30 an Air Botswana representative arrived and started checking bags. We didn’t make it to the counter until 6:50. The man did not seem very concerned and started checking us in. We had a bit of a scare when he said our bags were too heavy, by about 14 kg (about 30 lbs). I asked how much it would cost to send them anyways and he talked to another lady working there…and then printed out the tags and sent us on our way, no fee. I was very surprised and grateful! I looked at my watch and it was 6:56, our flight was scheduled for 7:05, remember. I asked if the flight was delayed but he said no. We cleared security at 7:04 and sat down at our gate. Everyone boarded about 7:10 and I watched as our bags were put on the plane. In the states, arriving at your gate one minute before takeoff wouldn’t work, but here it’s just business as usual.

~Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment