Monday, July 9, 2012

Preparing for research

As I said previously, I’m in Gaberone now and trying to get ready for my research. This afternoon I will meet with Dr. Cyril Taolo, head of research for the Botswana Department of Wildlife and National Parks to obtain my research permit. Hopefully that will go smoothly, I have meet with Dr. Taolo each time I have worked in Botswana and he has always been very helpful.

There is, however, a bit of a complication. Typically other students from UF come with us to Botswana and so we all help each other as research assistants. This year, however, it is only me so I am hiring a research assistant. In April or May I communicated with a local named Fidelis who had worked with some of my teammates previously about helping me out. He seemed excited so I made the plans. I emailed him Friday to confirm and just heard back this morning that he got another job. I am excited for him as it sounds like a good job, but this might alter my plans a bit.

The good thing is, he says he has a friend who is studying wildlife in South Africa but currently is in the Caprivi Strip of Namibia, not too far from Chobe. It sounds like this friend is willing to work with me. He gave me his phone number and email but not his name, so I don’t even know what to call him. I just sent an email to him to confirm that he is available when I need and to get his information. See, I need to have him listed on the supplemental permit if I am going to bring him into the park with me. I think for that I need his passport number and birth date. Well we’ll see, the whole thing is in the Lord’s hands so I’m sure it will work out. I just hope it comes together soon because time is limited and I can’t do what I need to do without a research assistant. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Okay, since I typed that I got a response from him. It turns out his name is Tererai and he is a student with the Southern African College of Wildlife getting a certificate in conservation. He says he can meet me Friday morning and he gave me the details I need for the permit. That sounds good, I’m impressed he responded so quickly. I guess we’ll see how it all works.

No comments:

Post a Comment