Friday, July 13, 2012

I'm in Kasane

The Lord provides! I made it to the DWNP office this morning and got the permit with the Skiller's name on it. The flight was a little bumpy as we were landing but was overall fine. Now I'm in Kasane. Thata (our local contact) has his brothers meet me at the airport to hand over the Pajero. I'm actually surprised how good of shape it's in. It has cracks in the windshield and is missing the driver's side door handle (which makes getting in interesting) but it was recently washed, the tires look decent, it had full oil and transmission fluid, and it was clean inside. All in all fairly impressive.

Unfortuntately Chobe Safari Lodge was all full. This is the first time in a long time I haven't stayed there. I'm camping at Thebe River Safari Lodge, which is outside of town a few km on the way to Kazangula. The campsite seems decent but unlike Chobe Safari Lodge I can't get internet there. That and the lodge is across the street from the prison, which is less than encouraging. But really I don't think there is any danger, it's more just funny.

Skiller, my research assistant, says he can get here Monday so tomorrow and Sunday I'll try to collect data from the car. I was planning on doing some of that anyways so it should work fine. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro! Just wanted to let you know I found your blog and Lindz and I are praying for you. I will continue to read this and I hope everything works out with the research!

    ReplyDelete