Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vehicle troubles

It wouldn't be a trip to Africa for field work without some vehicle troubles. I'm using the trusty Mitsubishi Pajero that I've used each year I've been here and in general it's working well. The engine had been making a squealing noise, however, for the first few minutes when we turned it on. It did it some last year so I wasn't too worried, but one morning it was extra loud so I popped the hood to check. It's a good thing I did. One of our fan belts had come off and was rubbing between the engine block and the alternator, causing the squealing. It was almost worn completely through. There are two fan belts so we were able to drive it into town to the auto part store. We had to wait for them to open but eventually we got a fan belt. Then it needed to be put on. They didn't have anyone who could do it but I thought I remembered how from fan belt problems we had back in Moremi Game Reserve in 2010. I didn't want to mess up the car further, however, so we thought we should double check the procedure. Fortunately Skiller's girlfriend is a mechanic so we called her in Maun and I described what I thought I should do and she confirmed that it was correct! My Uncle Ed gave me a socket wrench set for Christmas that had metric attachments and I was able to use that to loosen the alternator, slip the new fan belt on, and tighten things up again. We turned the car back on and everything worked fine! It was back into the park for another day of work...

No comments:

Post a Comment