Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The work progresses

We've now completed about 160 training samples! This is wonderful and is more than I expected to complete this summer...and we still have another week of data collection time. I am very excited by the progress we are making. Something growled at us from a bush the other day, making us quickly retreat to the vehicle, but other than that we haven't had any other close animal encounters.

In camp it's been fairly quite on the animal side, though two nights ago there was a big elephant that came and ate from the tree right next to my tent. In the morning there were a number of branches on the ground next to my cement slab that the elephant had ripped from the tree. Last night as I was gathering firewood I looked up and saw a herd of buffalo standing staring at me about 150m away. Buffalo can be quite dangerous so I kept an eye on them, collected wood in the opposite direction, and built a nice big fire to keep them back...and everything went fine.

It's crazy to think it's only a week and a half until I head home. There's still lots to do but I'm looking forward to being back.


No comments:

Post a Comment