Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Count Your Blessings


I was talking with my father a few days before I left, telling him about all the craziness of getting ready and of other things that were going on, and he reminded me that in the midst of all that there were really a lot of blessings that God was also providing for this trip and that I should not lose sight of those. So in order for me not to forget them and to give Him the praise He is due, I want to list those blessings out here. I’m sure there are many more that I didn’t even realize, but here is a partial list of how God has provided:

He brought together the grant money to get me to Africa and to enable me to do my research

He has opened the door for an exciting new project with South African National Park

We had an amazing and fun place to stay in the weeks leading up to me leaving and were able to share the time with family and friends

I forgot to get a prescription for malaria medicine until a few days before I left but an opening at the student health center let me get it the very same day I realized I needed it

Publix took my insurance, which was unexpected, so my malaria medicine only cost a $20 copay

My truck broke down the day before I was supposed to leave but I got it fixed and the shop didn't charge anything for it

Many volunteers stepped forward so that all my deacon responsibilities are covered at church (this finally came together two days before I left)

I was able to fit all my gear in one checked bag (since Delta recently started charging for a second bag on international flights) and it was just under the weight limit

I got an extra half day with Chelsea (and didn’t miss anything too serious by having a delayed flight)

I didn’t have to pay Delta anything to change my flight

There was an empty seat next to me on the long flight, making things much more comfortable

My bag showed up safe and secure right where and when I needed it to be

I didn’t have to buy a new ticket for South African Airways

We have a great contact here, a professor from UF, who is really facilitating our plans and activities and who came to the airport a second time to pick me up after my schedule changed

I’m sure there are many more I could list and I’ll probably think of more after I post this but for now I want to thank the Lord and all of you who helped make these things possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment